- This event has passed.
Volunteer Packing Session – Okemos
February 8 @ 9:30 am - 11:00 amFree
Welcome to the February Volunteer Packing Session for Weekend Survival Kits! In honor of Valentine’s Day, this month we encourage you to be on the lookout for someone you know who needs a hug! We are calling it Hug a Helper month. Hugs can be a sign of love or affection and they can also be a thank you for your efforts; an I’m proud of you; a sorry about that; or just because! Since we have been hosting the volunteer packing sessions, we have noticed how the bonds of friendship continue to grow, especially among the regular volunteers. Our team members always leave the session feeling enriched by all the wonderful people like you who offer support for this very important mission. Consider yourself virtually hugged! Thank you for your service.
Currently, Weekend Survival Kits is serving over 70 schools in 5 counties in MID and SE Michigan and the numbers of children served is growing to over 4000. This year our focus is in two areas – First, making sure that as many children as possible can be served in the schools already on our list. Second, that our volunteers know how very important they are to the success of this program.re to the success of this program.
The kits packed at Okemos Community Church for Weekend Survival Kits help children in Lansing/East Lansing and the surrounding communities such as Dewitt and Williamston. We also pack up the monthly Weekday Survival Snack boxes which some of our schools have opted to receive. This additional program benefits each participating school by making sure there is a supply of healthy snacks for children unable to bring snacks from home or have simply forgotten their snacks. This is all part of our efforts to help children remove barriers to their academic success.
FIRST TIME AT VOLUNTEER PACKING SESSION? Welcome! Here is what you need to know:
- We need to have your Liability and Photo Release form filled out before you volunteer the first time. Please click the link and download the form to fill it out. Please read carefully and print the information requested. (Minor children 16 and under can be included on the form of one of the parent or guardian in attendance.) Checking in at the beginning of any volunteer packing session is a busy time, please plan on coming a few minutes early to hand in your form(s) and get a chance to decide what jobs you will do.
- You only need to fill out the release form once, we will scan it and keep it on file. Checking in at any future dates simply requires your signature.
- If you are thinking of bringing a group of 7 or more volunteers, pre-registration is required. Please contact the site coordinator to schedule a date.
- Please complete your volunteer experience by filling out the online Volunteer Hours Tracking form. It takes just a few minutes and means so much to us! You can do this right from your smart phone, tablet or laptop. Families with minor children in attendance, add up your family hours for the date, and make a note in the comments section with #of adults and children. You can also go back and fill in forms for previous sessions or activities.
- Any general questions about volunteering, please feel free to email or call your volunteer site!
NOTE: The Volunteer Packing Session – Okemos is very popular with volunteers. If you are organizing a group to attend and it is more than 7 or more people, please email Crew Leader Gina Brick firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know. Also, another great location to volunteer is at the Harry Hill Center just south of Lansing. This is coordinated by the Northwest Initiative and they would be so grateful for the help! Just check our Calendar of Events from the website navigation bar and look for NWI packing sessions, click for more details.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
PRINTABLE COPY OF THE CALENDAR