- This event has passed.
Volunteer Packing Session – Detroit
February 27, 2019 @ 10:30 am - 12:30 pmFree
Welcome to the February Volunteer Packing Session – Detroit for Weekend Survival Kits! In honor of Valentine’s Day, this month we encourage you to be on the lookout for someone you know who needs a hug! We are calling it Hug a Helper month. Hugs can be a sign of love or affection and they can also be a thank you for your efforts; an I’m proud of you; a sorry about that; or just because! Since we have been hosting the volunteer packing sessions, we have noticed how the bonds of friendship continue to grow, especially among the regular volunteers. Our team members always leave the session feeling enriched by all the wonderful people like you who offer support for this very important mission. Consider yourself virtually hugged! Thank you for your service.
Service in SW Detroit has been underwritten by our friends at Delta Dental, however, we still need more volunteers to spend an hour or two to pack up the food kits. Weekend Survival Kits is active in 5 counties providing weekend food kits for school kids who qualify. Currently we are serving the Harms School, where every child qualifies for the Weekend Survival Kit program.
FIRST TIME AT VOLUNTEER PACKING SESSION? Welcome! Here is what you need to know:
- We need to have your Liability and Photo Release form filled out before you volunteer the first time. Please click the link and download the form to fill it out. Please read carefully and print the information requested. (Minor children 16 and under can be included on the form of one of the parent or guardian in attendance.) Checking in at the beginning of any volunteer packing session is a busy time, please plan on coming a few minutes early to hand in your form(s) and get a chance to decide what jobs you will do.
- You only need to fill out the release form once, we will scan it and keep it on file. Checking in at any future dates simply requires your signature.
- If you are thinking of bringing a group of 7 or more volunteers, pre-registration is required. Please contact the site coordinator to schedule a date.
- Please complete your volunteer experience by filling out the online Volunteer Hours Tracking form. It takes just a few minutes and means so much to us! You can do this right from your smart phone, tablet or laptop. Families with minor children in attendance, add up your family hours for the date, and make a note in the comments section with #of adults and children. You can also go back and fill in the form for past dates of volunteer sessions or activities.
- Any general questions about volunteering, please feel free to email or call your volunteer site!
If you, your neighbors, or a business team are looking for a way to give back in the SW Detroit community – you would be most welcome to join our volunteer team. For more information email Ian@weekendsurvivalkits.org.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
PRINTABLE COPY OF DETROIT